Monday, February 25, 2013

Ketogenic Diet And Prostate Cancer In Mice

It's always nice to find research the confirms ones' prejudices. I've thought a bit about the causes of prostate cancer, and came to the conclusion that it's probably sugar. My doctor has (happily) observed that I have the prostate of a teenager. (Given the nature of the prostate exam, this is not a time for idle chatter...)

I've speculated that the incidence of prostate cancer might be the result of linoleic acid, or wheat (my two favorite dietary bogey-men), but I have been unable to find any evidence to support those suppositions. So I was left with sugar. I substantially cut back on my sugar intake in my late teens, having had countless cavities (I literally cannot recall how many) and eight teeth pulled. I was done with dentists. 20 years passed, I had zero cavities, and my prostate was, according to my Doc, unchanged.

Along comes this: Carbohydrate restriction, prostate cancer growth, and the insulin-like growth factor axis:
"In this xenograft model, despite consuming more calories, [No Carb. Ketogenic Diet]-fed mice had significantly reduced tumor growth and prolonged survival relative to Western mice and was associated with favorable changes in serum insulin and IGF axis hormones relative to low-fat or Western diet."
Interesting. That's mice, and mice ain't people; but there is absolutely no downside that I'm aware of in cutting out sugar and reducing your carbohydrate intake.

And note the following about the ketogenic mice:
"Despite consuming equal calories, NCKD-fed mice lost weight (up to 15% body weight) relative to low-fat and Western diet-fed mice and required additional kcal to equalize body weight."
Nothing wrong with that...