Friday, January 7, 2011

Horrors of Barefoot-Style Running

"A bit of my background: During basic training and my advanced training I suffered stress fractures in the right side of my pelvis, stress fractures in my shins, and 3 broken bones in my left foot (I believe the broken bones in my left foot were due to me overcompensating for the stress fractures of my pelvis). Before this, I was a relatively active and healthy kid. I didn't run cross country or anything, but I sure as heck was never injured! Military doctors told me that I was never going to run again and that were going to medically discharge me. I asked for a chance, and by not much more than the skin of my teeth (17:58 for a 2 mile), I passed. I've always had more upper body strength than lower, but I knew something wasn't right. I was a healthy 18 year old and I was getting injuries that people twice my age were barely getting..."


Barefoot-style running is so bad for you! Oh, wait, she was wearing regular sneakers. Whoops...